26 12월 2005

Merry Freaking Christmas

Well, Merry Freaking Christmas. And now begins the worst week of the year...that awful time between Christmas and New Year's when everyone feels compelled to say, "See you next year!!" and then laugh as if (1) this comment is even remotely funny in any way, or (2) they are the first oh-so-clever person to come up with this statement. And working in a bar means I get to endure this only about 160 times a night, and it's already hard enough pretending I like that job and all the obnoxious customers that come with it.
Overall, it wasn't a bad holiday. I spent most of the day at the shelter. I had been worried that I would be the one in charge of making Christmas dinner (they're already homeless, for God's sake...why make them suffer any more?) but I conveniently escaped that chore by offering to take the kids to the movies. Since the movie didn't start until later in the afternoon I still had to help a little with the meal, but at least I wasn't in charge of it. And despite my best efforts, it turned out OK. Having no children of my own, it was kind of fun playing Santa even though the magic of the holidays has long since vanished from these kids' lives. It's a sad, sad thing when the best Christmas they've ever had has taken place away from their families in a homeless shelter.

0 Comments:

댓글 쓰기

<< Home