06 8월 2006

I had such a great day today!! My friend picked me up and took me to his house to spend the afternoon with his family. His 6 year old daughter immediately redid my hair into some kind of crazy half ponytail thing and took off all my jewelry so she could wear it. Then she took me to her room to show me her closet, and later put on a little fashion show for me. His 2 year old son took one look at me and burst into tears...I was the first foreigner he had ever seen. He kept his distance from me for awhile, but by the time I left he was totally comfortable, shaking my hand and climbing on me. His wife cooked the yummiest lunch ever...I thought I would never stop eating!!

I can't even express how wonderful it felt to have some "family time," and I'm so totally grateful for the invitation and wonderful hospitality they showed me!!

Korean culture isn't always very accepting of outsiders, and as a foreigner I haven't always been treated well here. Unfortunately, lately there's been more negative than positive. Having me over for lunch was probably no big deal for my friend...just one more person hanging around on a typical Sunday afternoon. But for me it was one of the kindest gestures I've received since being here.

Other than that it's been a pretty relaxed day...did some laundry, got some stuff ready for my classes tomorrow, and made the best homemade spaghetti sauce to have ever been created by a non-Italian. Now I'm debating whether to throw in a movie or try to convince the boys downstairs to head over to Cafe SE for some milkshakes...

9 Comments:

At 9:51 오후, Blogger Barbara said...

Does your milkshake bring all the boys to the yard?

Sounds like you had an awesome day girl...

 
At 10:25 오후, Blogger Jes said...

Great. Now that song will be stuck in my head forever.

 
At 10:38 오후, Blogger Barbara said...

:)..Damn right..it's better than yours...i could teach you but i'd have to charge.

 
At 10:41 오후, Blogger Jes said...

My best friend used to have that song as a personal ringtone for someone...it made me want to throw his cell phone out the window!!

 
At 2:47 오전, Blogger Barbara said...

Jes has an admirer....woo woo

 
At 4:13 오전, Anonymous 익명 said...

I hope your negative experiences don't get you down. I think that in general, Koreans (especially the older ones) don't know how to act around foreigners so what they do is either ignore or avoid interacting with them. As a Korean American in Los Angeles I see some of that here where older immigrants avoid venturing too far from Koreatown to avoid these situations. Anyways, keep up the good work...your blog is great!

 
At 5:57 오전, Blogger SJ said...

Jessie has a boy-friend! ;)

Glad things took a turn for the better. Let's hope they continue that way.

Korean milkshakes. Who'd'a thought...?

 
At 8:15 오전, Blogger Jes said...

Hi Carlos!!! How's home?? Why are you going to Jim Thorpe on a musikfest day?!? You should be wandering the streets of Bethlehem drunk and checking out underage girls like the rest of the Lehigh Valley!!

Jason S: Thanks!! I try not to get the negative stuff get to me but sometimes it's a little overwhelming.

Ian: yup, kimchi milkshakes!! Mmmm!!!

 
At 1:54 오전, Blogger daeguowl said...

Kimchi milkshakes.....sounds like a good thing for the slimfast plan. Have a healthy shake for breakfast.....

 

댓글 쓰기

<< Home