12 2월 2007

Weekend

DAY 1:
Saturday morning I woke up SUPER EARLY and began my 5 hour journey to Ulsan to visit Gwansic and his family. Gwansic met me at the bus station and used his superb driving skills to take me to his house to meet his family and have lunch. I'm not sure who hands out the Korean Mother of the Year awards, but Gwansic's mom definitely gets my vote!!!
After we finished eating we headed out to do some hiking, and I got to see the East Sea for the first time! It was so awesome! We wandered around for a few hours, checked out a lighthouse, climbed on some rocks, played some games (I won a super cool seashell necklace) and then headed out for some food. I forget the name of what we ate, but it was really delicious - noodles with clams and a few vegetables. After food, we went to a park which was made by one of the oil companies (Ulsan is an industrial town). It looked very similar to Lake Park in Ilsan, but unfortunately our visit was cut short because of rain. Stupid rain!! ARGH!!
With nothing else to do, we dropped the car off and walked down the street for some beer. Whatever section of Ulsan we were in was dead quiet, especially for a Saturday night. We drank a beer or two and talked and I learned all kinds of interesting things about my friend! We left the bar pretty early and headed back to Gwansic's house, making a brief stop so I could grab a small gift for his mom. When we got back to the house there were yummy sweet potatoes waiting for us, and I was sooooo happy. His mom and I spent a little bit of time putting Gwansic's translating skills to the test, and then it was off to bed. Here's some pics from the first day...


















Day 2:


This morning we woke up early (well, early for me) and after breakfast we jumped in the car and headed to Gyeongju, which was the capital of Korea during the Shilla Dynasty. We checked out Bulguksa, Seokguram Grotto (my favorite) and the Gyeongju National Museum, which is also where the Emille Bell is located. Gyeongju was a really incredible place...it's easy to see why it's such a popular tourist spot. I can't wait to go back and do some hiking and see some of the sites I didn't have enough time to see on this trip.













Daggers are cool...





I love food...



All of a sudden the day was over and it was time for me to head back to Seoul. I had such a great weekend!! Gwansic and his family were the best hosts anyone could wish for!!

7 Comments:

At 11:29 오후, Anonymous 익명 said...

Oh my god! Everything is so beautifull and you are soo cute and wow!

 
At 11:33 오후, Blogger Jes said...

thanks beaks. :)

 
At 1:37 오전, Blogger Barbara said...

Man.....It looks like an Umberfabuloso time. The food,sights and company...I'm jealous:)

Thanks for keeping things interesting.

I chop my hair next weekend!

 
At 10:07 오전, Anonymous 익명 said...

For some reason your faded jeans and that painted doors match.

 
At 10:45 오전, Blogger Late Nite Drive Thru said...

what cool statues!

btw, I stumbled across you through Mr. Bad Mood - 6 degrees of separation become smaller in the hashing world

 
At 10:46 오전, Blogger Late Nite Drive Thru said...

what cool statues!!

btw, I stumbled across you through Mr. Bad Mood - 6 degrees of separation become smaller in the hashing world

 
At 10:24 오후, Blogger Jes said...

Trojan - I can't wait to see your hair!!

Anon - I never visit ancient temples and palaces without making sure my outfit matches!! :)

LNDT - small world, indeed. i've stumbled onto your blog through Brownie's blog!!!

 

댓글 쓰기

<< Home